Monday, May 22, 2006

If you only knew


These socks are the hardest thing I have done. I signed up for the short row shaping sock class at Yarntopia. I think it is hard to teach old dogs new tricks. The class was good, the instructions were clear, but I had trouble following them. I think it has to do with decreased short term memory skills in the aging. I had to keep going back and reading over and over, then starting to do what I was told, then having to look back again. The first sock took two attempts at both the heel and the toe. There were still mistakes, but I just went on. The second sock was much better. We do learn from our mistakes. I am proud that my stripes match and the socks fit.
In the background is the vest I am knitting for my husband. He has been pouting about my spending so much time knitting, so I thought I would knit something for him. This is a challenge because he doesn't wear bright colors or anything the least bit interesting. He prefers boring. The vest is a pattern I got off the internet. The back, which is on the left, is stockinette (so that meets the boring requirement) and the front, which is on the right) is cables all the way across. It will have a V neck. The color is gray (also meets the boring requirement) but the cables make it more fun for me. I think he will wear it. I'll try to get him to model it when I post it here. The yarn is Rowan Wool Cotton. I really like the yarn. It is very soft.

11 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

The socks look very nice...bravo!!!! Were they done toe up? I have read that toe up socks are very difficult. And you even got the stripes to match--very well indeed!

8:07 AM  
Blogger Sarah said...

Nice socks! I like the cables on the vest. I hope your husband likes it!

8:40 AM  
Blogger Penny Karma, aka the F-Bomb Mom said...

Way to go on the SOCKS!! You've inspired me!

9:14 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

They look great! Dontcha just love that short row heel? It uses less yarn AND takes less time to do (once you remember how to do it and don't have to check the directions, that is...) ;o)

11:23 AM  
Blogger knittingnurse said...

Wow, I am very impressed with your first socks! Way to get your stripes to match. You keep at it and before you know it, you will be knitting socks in your sleep (or in the car, waiting in line, at the ballpark - oh wait, that's ME!) tee hee!

12:20 PM  
Blogger Jennifer said...

Yay! Look at those beautiful socks! I knew you could do it.

1:35 PM  
Blogger amylovie said...

Did you plan your stripes to match, or did you just get lucky?

Amy

1:47 PM  
Blogger Sheri said...

Great socks! Us old dogs can learn new tricks, it just takes a little longer. :o)

I've never made my husband anything, but every time I start something new he says "who is that for?" so I'm wondering if he's waiting for me to say it's for him. He's just so dang big, and has big feet, what could I possibly make him that wouldn't take 10 years?

Sheri in GA

4:54 PM  
Blogger Catherine Kerth said...

the socks are really beautiful, absolutely worth all the hard work ;) and i can't wait to see that vest modeled! cables are so much fun and atleast it won't be sooooo boring for you.

7:33 PM  
Blogger Christine said...

Your socks turned out *SO* great! They looked so wonderful in person. I really liked your vest a lot too - your knitting is so beautiful! What pattern are you using?

The first sock pattern I ever used can be found online by doing a search on Google for "56 stitch sock pattern" - it is a free pattern from Knitting Now Magazine. I found it pretty easy to follow.

It was great seeing you again yesterday!

7:56 PM  
Blogger JustApril said...

Matching stripes is a feat in itself, but mastering short rows, too? Great job! Short rows really boggle the mind at first, but you'll get it soon enough! =)

9:47 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home